- Stock up on suitable (life-saving) alternatives; a whole month without that sweet sweet sensation of drinking your favourite Shiraz…that’s completely impossible, right? Thankfully an innovation in drinking may finally have been uncovered. Meet: Shiraz without the Hangover (also available in Rose and Chardonnay). Or go even fancier with Thomas &Evans’s botanical blends.
- Rope someone else into it with you: Like going to the gym when you really really don’t want to, it’s always helpful to have someone to hold you accountable, and someone to guilt you into staying on the straight and narrow. Doing stuff you hate is better when you have others suffering with you.
- Treat yo’self: You’re going to be saving a lot of money now that you’ve stopped your rampant near-alcoholism, so why not reward yourself for being a functioning member of society with a little something special. My personal choice would be vast amounts of cheese, but if you’d like to stick to being healthy thing then perhaps a new pair of running trainers would suffice.
- Don’t Give Up: Just because you slipped up with a couple of beers on match day doesn’t mean you can quit on the whole month. As with dieting (the other menace of the New Year), one bad day does not undo all the progress you’ve made. Consistency is key, if Matt Damon can spend 564 days (549 Martian Sols) on Mars then you can manage 31 days without your head in the liquor cabinet.
- Find a distraction: People say hobbies are a great distraction, I wouldn’t know because my hobbies are strictly limited to drinking red wine, eating lots and complaining about MasterChef (seriously, how can anyone like Greg Wallace?!). But finding something to fill your time with a great way to kick start the new year, and your optimistically healthy habits. I suggest anything from yoga, to photography, to learning how to make the perfect soufflé (or chocolate fondant if you’d rather, both are a total faff). Alternatively there’s always the classic: knitting.
NEED A LITTLE MORE INSPIRATION FOR STAYING HEALTHY THIS WINTER?
We're posting plenty of content to keep you running on all cylinders throughout these chilly months. Click below to head over to our blog and keep up to date on all our top tips!