Encouraging social action and diversity in tech
Novacroft, an established smartcard technology firm, had spent many years working behind the scenes to produce smart travel cards. Ahead of the launch of new consumer-facing services, they wanted to raise their profile as a standalone business. Novacroft is particularly passionate about business and technology as a force for good within communities and society, and diversity within STEM. We were tasked to help them develop and implement a targeted PR campaign to position them as champions of these causes, and pave the way for their expanding portfolio of products.
The core objectives for this campaign were to:
• Help Novacroft achieve their ambitious growth goals and lay the groundwork for expanding their portfolio of services
• Position Novacroft as a socially-conscious business and a champion of technology’s power for good across three main sectors – charity, transport and corporate
• Profile team members to demonstrate the expertise, talent and passion within the business
• Support internal recruitment efforts by communicating the company’s values and aspirations
• Highlight Novacroft’s dedication to diversity in STEM and the wider business landscape
Originality and Creativity
As Novacroft had little prior presence in the media, but is an established business, we decided to harness the team’s unique expertise and insights into the power of technology to impact efficiency and encourage social action.
Taking advantage of their various partnerships and extensive events programme, we also devised new hooks for the media demonstrating how businesses can make positive contributions to their communities.
Strategy and Implementation
• Press Engagement: we worked closely with key media titles to arrange face-to-face and phone interviews for the team, ensuring Novacroft became a familiar name and was at the forefront when relevant opportunities arose
• Expert Commentary and Features: tapping into the team’s expertise, we used timely news hooks to profile Novacroft as champions of social action, diversity in STEM and the Northern Powerhouse. We also capitalised on research papers and case studies the company had produced for both shorter comments and longer feature articles
• Business Profiling: we generated a range of profile pieces on Novacroft and its team members, with a primary focus on its founder & CEO, Debra Charles
• Collaborations: we supported Novacroft in hosting a roundtable discussion around ‘the gift of dyslexia’ following an interview with BBC Radio Northampton, which focused on what educational facilities, charities, businesses and local government can do to encourage dyslexics into the world of work
Results and Evaluation
Since beginning work with Novacroft, we have secured sustained, quality coverage in titles including The Daily Telegraph, Metro UK, BBC Radio Northampton, Flybe’s Flight Time, Making Money, Money Week, Real Business and Talk Business.