Raising the Profile of an International Yacht Brokerage
Yachting Partners International are a luxury yacht brokering firm based in Monaco. They came to us in 2015 looking to secure coverage around one specific yacht, AXIOMA, which was available for charter. YPI wanted a PR campaign that filled more charter slots for AXIOMA, and after a successful initial burst, we were brought on to run a full PR campaign for YPI.
The world of super yachts is a niche one, but YPI wanted us to take their story into the mainstream. The benefits of doing so to their business were twofold:
- To reach new audiences outside the traditional yachting world who might be interested in chartering or purchasing yachts.
- To raise the profile of the business, raise awareness of the industry, and promote YPI as thought leaders in the world of luxury.
Originality and Creativity
We engineered a press trip aboard AXIOMA to the Caribbean, inviting journalists from major Luxury, International and Middle East national outlets. The trip gave journalists a unique insight into a traditionally inaccessible world and the result was a number of features in some of the best-read papers and magazines in the world.
The super yacht industry is awash with stunning aesthetic, and we took advantage of this to capitalise on media outlets that were hungry for aspirational and visual content. This included utilising the expert knowledge of captains of super yachts to create bespoke destination guides. For example, we created a guide of the Monaco Grand Prix from a Captain with intricate knowledge of the region.
The unheralded heartbeat of a super yacht is the crew. Outside of the industry very few people knew that vessels could boast chefs with Michelin experience or fully-qualified diving and yoga instructors. Taking a bottom up approach by promoting these people generated noise around the industry in places it wasn’t being done before.
Strategy and Implementation
Our strategy was to target HNW audiences beyond the realms of the yachting press, where YPI already had strong relationships. We identified the luxury and travel sectors as key sections of the media where gaining traction could benefit YPI the most.
Ensuring that YPI’s yachts were showcased to the widest possible audience added more value to our work, so we targeted our outreach internationally to reflect the global nature of the market.
We found thought leadership to be a very effective way of generating media coverage. We put senior YPI figures, yacht captains and successful brokers forward with ready-made content which served to reinforce YPI’s authority in the sector.
We also ran various social initiatives to drive more engagement, including the YPI Photo of the Year competition, the launch of the YPI Instagram channel, influencer engagement and real-time posting of the Monaco Yacht Show.
Results and Evaluation
- Extensive international coverage in the print, online and broadcast media.
- Interview and comment slots for key YPI figures with titles including CNBC, The Times and Spear’s.
- Knockout feature pieces running in the Daily Mail, the Sunday Telegraph, Elle and Robb Report.
- 25 pieces of coverage for AXIOMA and her crew spread across luxury and travel outlets in seven countries and on three continents.
- 151 entries from 23 countries to the YPI Photo of the Year, with social engagement from The Telegraph Luxury Travel, Boat International, and a total reach of 114,971.